Skip to main content

Curly Hair, What's in There?: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

One of my favourite series, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, is ending next week. So sad, I know. And the last episode was very dramatic. So, I'm going to explore the events and how I think the series is going to end.


If you haven't seen it, the show is the story of Rebecca Bunch (Rachel Bloom), a successful New York lawyer who decides to uproot her life to move to West Covina, California to follow a boy she dated at camp, Josh Chan (Vincent Rodriguez III). She gets a job at a law firm, makes friends and stalks Josh until she finds out he is actually engaged to Valencia (Gabrielle Ruiz), a girl he went to school with. Rebecca ends up going out with Josh's friend Greg (Santino Fontana/Skylar Astin- will explain later), who ends things with her to move and go to business school. Then, the law firm gets bought out and Rebecca gets a new boss, Nathaniel (Scott Michael Foster), who isn't the nicest guy. They have a thing but later split up as well. Eventually Rebecca decides that she is unhappy at work and leaves to run a pretzel stand in the building's lobby, where she seems happier with her life. Throughout all of this, Rebecca is dealing with her mental health issues, getting diagnosed with BPD, going through therapy and meeting others dealing with the same things. Also it's a musical!
Each episode has at least one or two musical numbers and they are always fantastic.
By this point, Rebecca is now living with Josh, who had nowhere else to stay; Nathaniel has become a better person; and Greg is back and running his father's old restaurant. Josh and Valencia broke up pretty early on, and her and Rebecca are good friends, along with her old roomate Heather (Vella Lovell) and her lawyer friend Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin).
The girl gang: Rebecca, Paula, Heather and Valencia
So now you're about caught up.


Throughout season four, Rebecca is dealing with being single, wondering what to do with her life and running her business. The three men she dated have all decided that they are still in love with her and are fighting over her, so they have resolved to each take Rebecca on a date and she can choose between them. The penultimate episode of the season took Rebecca on her three dates, and I guess next week we will find out who she chose. I wanna know, but I really have some thoughts and feelings about the whole thing. We're gonna go over the pros and cons of all the guys.

Josh
Vincent Rodriguez III as Josh Chan

Josh is the first guy on the show that Rebecca is in love with. He's the whole reason she is in California, the boy she was obsessed with for so long, the one she always wanted to be with. He is good looking, he is super romantic and he is willing to do whatever he can for Rebecca. They have a super long history, of dating at camp, her stalking him, him eventually falling for her, them nearly getting married, him leaving her at the altar after finding out about her regrettable past (I can't go into all that so watch it to find out), him moving in with her, and realising he is still in love with her. It's been a roller coaster of a relationship, and I have to say it's been thrilling. I do really like Josh, and it would be nice to see them end up together after everything they have been through. The thing is, he's a bit of an idiot. He's a great guy, but I don't think that he is the best choice for Rebecca. As fun as it would be, bringing the show full circle, I don't think they should end up together.

Nathaniel
Scott Michael Foster as Nathaniel Plimpton III

I did like Nathaniel, I have to say. He is extremely good looking, and I often felt bad for him when we saw how bad his relationship with his father was. He genuinely liked Rebecca and, even though he could often be a terrible person, he grew on me a lot. Towards the end of the third season, when he and Rebecca were in a good place, I really liked him. He represented her when she was on trial (another long story, just watch the show man), he supported her when she pleaded insanity and he was always really nice to her. After they broke up, he tried to become a better person; he did volunteering, he helped people and he became a genuinely good man. He's actually romantic and wants the best for Rebecca and I think he'd be good for her. But I don't think she's gonna pick him. He's a good choice and everything, but out of all her choices, he's not the best.

Greg
Santino Fontana as Greg

I. Love. Greg. I have SO many feelings about this dude. When they first met, it was because Rebecca was stalking Josh, one of his friends, and so he was sort of her sounding board, someone she could talk to and complain to. They did eventually fall for each other, at first it was just casual until they realised they really liked each other. It was a sort of messed up relationship, with Greg realising his alcoholism and Rebecca's mental health issues making things difficult. I was devastated for her when Greg decided to leave, and although it was fair for him, the way he was reacting is justified (again, just watch it for the details) I still think it was really sad when he left. Mid season four he came back, played by a different actor (which was kinda weird and I'm sure there's an explanation from Santino but they made it work to their advantage because it showed how much Greg had changed in his time away) and was very casual about the whole Rebecca thing.
Skylar Astin also as Greg
He eventually came back around and realised he loves her, agreeing to participate in the three date plan to try and win her over. While the other dates were very romantic and thoughtful, Greg was never good at the whole romance game. He tried to plan something but it went wrong, and in the end their date was very casual, very chill, and just very Greg. It was the least impressive date, he is the least impressive candidate, but I want her to choose him!!! Greg is clearly the right choice for Rebecca, he's great for her, she loves him without him having to try too hard, and I just really love them as a couple. Plus, the whole penultimate episode saw all their friends betting on who would win, and Greg was consistently the underdog, which clearly means he's going to win. It's got to be Greg, no arguments.

Nobody?
This is a legitimate option. As great as the three guys are, a lot of the show is about feminism and independence; Rebecca is a strong woman and based on how the series has gone as a whole, it's very possible that she will decide to go it alone, because she doesn't necessarily need a man.

Whatever happens, I'm very excited to find out, but it means I'm also really disappointed that the series is ending. I love the show and yes, I know she's not real, but I just want Rebecca to be happy.


EDIT: So I just finished watching the last episode, and wow. That was good. I was right that she chose nobody, but instead chose to work on herself. I loved how it came full circle and she decided to write down all the songs in her head, that's the answer she chose in the end and it was perfect. And right at the end, she finally felt ready for romantic love, which, as she so rightly said, is not an ending, but a part of the story, something shown throughout the episode as she talked about all her friends. I loved this ending, and after four seasons the show continues to surprise me. It was the ending we needed and I loved it, leaving it so open ended, because that's what life is.

They also did a live concert of some of the many songs from the whole show and it's amazing!!!

Don't forget to follow my socials to keep updated: 
twitter : @chwcblog
facebook : Curly Hair, Who Cares
instagram : @chwcblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in