Skip to main content

Curly Hair, What's in There? Queer Eye

Curly Hair, What's in There? is a segment that will explore the random topics that are always circling my mind, things I want to talk about or things I want to share.

Queer Eye

Right, so if you are in any way aware of current popular culture, you'll have heard of Queer Eye, the Netflix reboot of the classic show where five gay men (the so-called "Fab Five") makeover people. Season three landed on Netflix yesterday (March 15) and I am living, I've already watched it all. If you've not already seen this show, lemme tell you why you should.

First off, it's not your typical makeover show. Like yeah, I get it, you're thinking "it's a bunch of fashion conscious gay guys so it is" but it's really not. I mean, they do have aspects of that, they makeover their wardrobe, their look, their living space, but they do so much more. In just a week, they seem to makeover peoples' lives. As well as the three aforementioned aspects, there is also a food portion, where they teach them better eating habits and how to keep themselves healthy, and a culture consultation, where they look at their lives and learn how to become better, happier people, and I love this. At the end of the week, there is always some sort of event, where the person's friends and family come together to marvel at the person they have become, and hopefully will continue to be, thanks to the Fab Five.

The main thing I love about this show, is, of course, the Fab Five. They are all amazing people and are so good at what they do. Here are my introductions to them:

Karamo Brown, Culture
He does culture, he helps the people to appreciate their area, who they are, what is best about them, and prepares them for the event. He is amazing, he is so understanding and so helpful. He's also really funny, but then so are all of them.

Antoni Porowski, food and drink
He is an incredible chef, and he always manages to help the person to cook what is best for them. If they live alone and are lazy, he shows them how to make things that are easy and low effort, but still impressive and healthy. If they want to be able to cook for their family, he incorporates elements of an adult pallete into meals that their kids will eat, to make sure they are happy and healthy. He is also just an all round great person. My favourite Antoni quote from this season is when he said that his spirit animal is an adolescent corgi, because, honestly, that's a a big mood. 

Tan France, Fashion

He is straight up adorbs. He is English and the others love it, and he is such a good person. He is amazing at knowing what someone will look good in almost instantly, and once they've tried on only a couple of things, he knows what they will wear and how good they will look. The best part is, he gets so excited when he sees them wearing exactly what he picked out, or making it their own, because it shows him that they trust him and they listened to him. 

Bobby Berk, Design
He has an incredible back story and he is really good at relating with the people he makes over. He also has an incredible eye and always able to renovate rooms to exactly what they need to be, with the right tone and as helpful as possible. He latches on to things that are important to who he is making over and creates really meaningful decor for them. He's flat out great. 

Jonathan Van Ness, Grooming
JVN is the member of the Fab Five who deals with hair, face and general look, and he is honestly the best. He is so funny, so sweet, so kind, and so talented. He always knows what a person needs and he gives it to them. He always manages to make the people look incredible and offer them ways to keep up their appearance. He's very funny when people don't follow his advice, like in this season when a dad put hand cream in his child's hair, or when another shaved his beard off without his consultation. He is just my favourite, he is so entertaining and he is so confident. He is also so inspiring, he is neither a masculine nor feminine figure. He wears clothes that would often be seen as stereotypically feminine, like skirts and heels (which he slays in, I wish I could walk in heels like that), and he has gorgeous long hair, but he has his beard and tash, and I love that about him. He is completely his own person and he isn't afraid to live his life out loud.
Also, this season they gained a member: Bruley the French bulldog.
He doesn't exactly have a job, he just wanders around their loft and is adorable.

I love this show just because it is so pure. The five guys connect so much with the people they are helping, and a lot of times they really need this. I love seeing the person grow and change over the week, become more confident in themselves and achieve what they set out to. They often seem to genuinely bond and come to care deeply about who they have helped and what they have to do to do this. They love making people feel happy and I love to see this. 

The only word I can use to describe this show is wholesome. It is consistently heart-warming, and I can guarantee you will tear up at least once every season. One of the women in what was possibly my favourite episode of this season described the show perfectly. She said that it is like "the grand opening of a new start", and that just sums it up really. Their lives are turned around in a week, and the end of it represents them going into a new chapter. If you haven't watched this show, please do because it is just so cute and I love it so much.


Don't forget to follow my socials to keep updated: 
twitter : @chwcblog
facebook : Curly Hair, Who Cares
instagram : @chwcblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in