Skip to main content

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge.

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it.


First, gather your ingredients:
In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour

Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g:
So minus the weight of the shells I had about 225g, which is the weight I went from. This always works and it makes the victoria sponge insanely easy to make. 

You can mix all the ingredients together, or separately (i.e. creaming the butter and sugar, then mixing in the eggs, then the flour and baking powder), but I choose to put all of the ingredients in the bowl at once as it's much quicker and works just as well:

Whisk them together until you have a nice, smooth batter:

And then pour the mixture evenly into two round baking tins:

Put the filled tins in a 180C oven for 25 minutes, until they're perfectly risen and golden brown on top:

Allow them to cool, and then turn one out onto a plate or tray. Spread an even layer of your favourite jam on top like so:

And then place the other cake atop the first.
Sprinkle with some caster sugar, and enjoy with a cup of tea.


Prep time: 10 minutes            Cook time: 25 minutes            Serves: 1-8

Ingredients:
4 eggs
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
225g margarine
2tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
Jam of your choice

Steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Prepare two baking tins with greaseproof paper and set aside.
3. Put all of the ingredients in a bowl together, and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
4. Pour the mixture into the tins and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
5. Allow to cool, and then take the cakes out of the tins.
6. Spread a layer of jam on one of the cakes and then place the other cake on top.
7. Sprinkle over some caster sugar, and enjoy.



Follow my socials to keep updated on further posts and to see Curly Cooks videos!     
twitter: @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in