Skip to main content

Curly Hair, Been There: Barcelona: Where to eat

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there. 

Barcelona: Where to eat 
This churro cart was like two minutes from my house why did I only go once 

As part of my university course, I am required to do a year abroad, and studying French and Spanish, I had to split it between two countries. For my Spanish half of the year, I went to Barcelona. 
Barcelona is a beautiful city, and there's so much to say about it, so over a series of posts I'll go over some of the different aspects of life there. In this post, I want to share some of the best places I have eaten there, and recommend, in ascending order, my top five places to eat.

5. Brunch and Cake











Gràcia is an area of Barcelona with a lot of good food, but also a lot of pricey food. Brunch and Cake is a café here that keeps it affordable as well as tasty. They have unbelievably good cake, some healthy, some not, and their drinks, juices, smoothies or hot drinks, are all delicious as well. It's all served in a cute cup and it is generally a lovely experience to eat here.

4. Bar Calders

This quaint little bar in Sant Antoni is everything you'd come to expect from a Spanish tapas bar, with a twist. They have a good range of drinks and beers, and their tapas are amazing. Between three we had a cheese board, a selection of breads, and a portion of patatas bravas. I have to talk about these. For those who don't know, patatas bravas are basically a dish of fried potatoes, with a spicy tomato sauce and often aioli. Everywhere I went, the bravas were different. Sometimes the potatoes were big, sometimes they were small. Some were really crispy while others were more soft. Some of the sauces were particularly spicy and some had more emphasis on the garlic.
These bravas came with the sauces on the side, and rather than being like wedges of potato, they were like really thick crisps. Like thick slices of potato fried to within an inch of their lives and served warm with salt. They were incredible, and if you end up at this bar, you have to try them.

3. Green & Berry

I'm a vegetarian, and Green & Berry is one of those vegan cafés that sell amazing food that doesn't taste like it's vegan. In addition to their amazing range of meals (including some cracking burgers and pastas) they have delicious baked goods, and their speciality, smoothies. I cannot recommend this place enough, if you're vegan or not. It feels healthy, it tastes good, and it's not too pricey. It's also in Gràcia, which is a lovely area for a walk around after eating.

2. Dino
I went here so much so I'm very disappointed that I couldn't find any of my own pictures source

People always want to know where they can get the best ice cream abroad: this is it. Dino is a chain of gelato stores, they carry the same basic flavours and some have more exciting flavours than others, like the ferrero rocher flavour I found at only one store, or the kinder flavour they sell at the store in Arenas (see my previous Barcelona post). Honestly, Dino is the best ice cream I can recommend, so please at least try it when you're out there.

1. Makamaka Beach Burger Café












This restaurant is something else. It's one of the first restaurants I went to in Barcelona and it stuck with me. First off, their decor is great. It's nice inside and outside, but when you go inside, like I did, you can decorate a spoon or fork or knife and stick it on the wall. It's super fun. There's also a disco ball inside, which is amazing.
Their drinks are also fantastic. They have soft drinks, like their own special recipe iced tea and lemonade, both of which are delicious, and their cocktails are amazing too.
Their sangria is one of the best I've had and their signature cocktail, which may sound weird with cinnamon and spice, is heavenly. Next, I have to talk about the fries. The portions are massive; they all come with ketchup and wasabi mayonnaise, and they're the perfect crispiness. Their special garlic parmesan fries are perfection. From the flavour I can only guess they are fried with garlic oil of some kind, sprinkled with garlic salt and covered in grated parmesan cheese, and I have never eaten a plate of fries like that which I would go back and eat forever.

I cannot recommend them enough. Their burgers are also fantastic, I love their vegan burgers and I can imagine that the others are also unbelievable. Finally, their desserts are beautiful as well. Ice cream topped with marshmallow and chocolates, or an ice cream passion fruit sundae; take your pick and enjoy.
I also love the location. It's on the end of the beach; you can spend the day relaxing and sunbathing, walk for only ten minutes and be at the restaurant of your dreams. It's gorgeous, and if you go I hope you love it as much as I do or I've really oversold it to you.

I want to give a special mention to McDonald's. I know, they're a massive chain and in every country, but I love seeing the differences in menu, and boy is Spanish McDonald's good. The main differences I loved are they sell beer, you can get potato wedges instead of your fries, and they sell topped versions of both their fries and wedges. It's good. If you're really picky and none of the above take your fancy, be a McTourist and go to McDonald's. I won't judge.

I hope you enjoy my recommendations and, if you ever go to Barcelona, you check out at least one of these lovely places.


Don't forget to follow my socials to keep updated: 
twitter : @chwcblog
facebook : Curly Hair, Who Cares
instagram : @chwcblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in