Skip to main content

Screen to Screen: Dumbo

Right this is probably a bit stupid but since it is technically an adaptation, this review is called Screen to Screen as it is a review of a new version of an old movie. Judge me all you want but it does make sense.

Dumbo 

I saw Dumbo today and it's possibly the cutest film ever, definitely the cutest I've seen this year. That little baby elephant is so precious and perfect and I love him so much!

If you don't already know the story of Dumbo, you gotta educate yourself. That movie came out like 80 years ago, and it's only 62 minutes long. If you've never seen it, I'm judging you.
Either way, I'm going to describle the plot because this is slightly different from the original. It, of course, follows a circus, namely that of the Medici Brothers, and its cast.
The Circus cast
It is run by Maximillian Medici, played by Danny Devito, and he has a great band of performers, including Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell), who has just returned from war with only one arm, so is unable to perform his famous horse routine. His children are there waiting for him, his scientific minded daughter Milly (Nico Parker) and adventurous son Joe (Finley Hobbins). They have fallen on hard times, so Max buys a pregnant elephant, to have a new exhibit. When it is born with enormous ears, he is embarassed and wants to hide it. His mother Mrs Jumbo becomes very defensive and the circus is forced to sell her to keep itself safe.
The Farrier family with Dumbo
But, the children form a bond with baby Jumbo, and when they discover that he can fly, he becomes the star of the show, attracting attention from all over, including from entertainment mogul V.A. Vandervere (Michael Keaton). He buys out the circus, and makes Dumbo, along with his star gymnast, Colette Marchant (Eva Green), an amazing flying act. The children then discover that Dumbo's mother is in fact part of a different exhibit in Vandervere's so-called Dreamland, and form a plot to rescue her, and release her and Dumbo back into the wild. In the end, the Medici family circus is successfully running, and the elephants are back where they belong. It's a lovely story and I really enjoyed it.


The story was good, as different as it was from the original, I could see why. They only had about an hour of original material to go on, and a chunk of that is a weird drunken nightmare* (which they did manage to get into the film a bit, with some impressive bubble work) and another big chunk is just really racist (they did manage to get a reference to this song** in as well). It was, of course, closer to the original in that Dumbo, of course, did not speak. While in the animation, the other animals spoke, this adaptation focused more on the humans, and making it more realistic, meaning the animals didn't have voices. This didn't stop us from understanding them, however. Dumbo was constantly smiling, trumpeting, his emotions were in his eyes and without words we knew exactly what he was thinking or feeling, and he was just so adorable.
LOOK HOW CUTE

I love all of Tim Burton's movies, I think he's a visionary director, and this one has been called one of his best, which I would agree with. It was so classically Disney, but kept his tone and style. I have to say, however, that had it been made ten or so years ago, the Eva Green character would have definitely been played by Helena Bonham Carter.
Eva Green as Colette Marchant
I loved Danny Devito's character, he seemed pure, and when he sold out, I knew he couldn't be as greedy as Vandevere, so I was happy when he helped Holt and the children rescue the elephants. I also loved the ending, seeing them back in their natural habitat and reunited was lovely.

The reference to the original were also great. As well as the aforementioned songs, I like the nod to Timothy Q Mouse.

He was one of the main characters in the original, but in this more realistic version, of course a mouse can't be coaching an elephant and talking to him. I guess Milly was the kind of Timothy character in this version, but it was nice to see the little mouse recognised, with his little hat.
The mice
I also thought the Dumbo plushies they were selling at Dreamland were great. They were adorable and I love that they followed the original Dumbo design. They looked like the actual toys you can buy at Disney, and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually were.

I really liked the children, I thought they were cute and good little actors. The message about female empowerment, scientists and everything, although a little progressive for the era, was really nice. Speaking of far fetched, the fact that Holt had a prosthetic arm at the end was a little unrealisic, but hey, if an elephant can fly, a man can have a working false limb in the 1940s!

Overall, I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would, and it was generally so cute. Go see it! Look at this precious little adorable boye:


* Pink elephants on parade
** I ain't never seen an elephant fly

Don't forget to follow my socials to keep updated: 
twitter : @chwcblog
facebook : Curly Hair, Who Cares
instagram : @chwcblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in