Skip to main content

Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Two)

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there. I recently went on holiday to New York and over the next few weeks I'm going to share all the cool things I did while I was there. Since I was there for a week, this is going to be a seven part series, a post for each day. So, let's dig into day two!


Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Two)


The second day was a lot more eventful than the first. First thing I did was get up and go to the deli down the road, on the hunt for rugalach. However, I got there too early and they weren't ready yet, so I just got these massive amazing cinnamon rolls:



We went out and explored a bit; the first thing we did was go and find the 78th precinct, or as most people know it, the building from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. While it was just a building, it was pretty cool to see the building we all recognise so well:



I was pretty overexcited and I felt pretty judged, but I don't care because my favourite TV show ever takes place here.

After this we headed towards Manhattan, taking a nice long walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, which was very impressive and a really cool structure to walk across:
I'm so cliché I know
There were a LOT of people on this bridge, and it was a big boi, but we had great views of the city and also of a lot of tourists!

Walking into Manhattan was fun, and we headed for Wall Street, to be real tourists and see all of the big cool stuff up there. I will say that walking is not the best way to get around New York; everything is fairly far apart and it is much simpler to take the subway. If you know where you're trying to get, the subway is very easy to get the hang of. Plus, if you're there short term like we were, you can get a Metrocard for $1 and top it up with a week's unlimited journeys, for only $33, and that price was definitely worth it. We took the subway every day, because it was so fast and easy.

Anyway, we went up to Wall Street and saw the bull:
A scarey boi
And the little girl:
Both of which were really cool to see. There was a huge queue to go up to the bull and take pictures, which, unsurprisingly, was all very clearly tourists. The little girl has been moved, she's no longer facing the bull as its artist complained, but she is now facing the stock exchange, so we came across her completely by accident. It's an amazing little statue though, especially considering all that she stands for and up against.
When in this area we also went to Trinity Church since, as a huge fan, I know that Hamilton and his wife are buried there. We saw his grave:
When we were here there was a guy with a tour group asking what bill Hamilton's face is on, and since none of them knew I shouted out ten and he was impressed until he realised I was not in his tour lol

We also saw Eliza's grave:
And Phillip's, which was just straight up heartbreaking:
There was also this lovely plaque by Eliza's grave, which I really loved:
If you can't read it, it says: Daughter of a Soldier of the Revolution, Placed by Daughters of the American Revolution.

We went to find lunch after this, for which we went to Joe's Pizza, a New York institution which argues to have the best pizza in the area. The slices were huge and, I have to say, delicious:

Following this delicious lunch, we went to Washington Square Park for a rest and it was really a beautiful park. We sat for a bit and then went to see the arch, which was very impressive and looks just how it does in Friends:
Wow I really like this pose don't I

Next up was Times Square and Broadway. We only did a short tour as we planned to spend more time in this area the next day, but we kind of stumbled upon it and decided to go with it. Here's a picture of how I looked the entire time:
Walking past all of the theaters I know so well and seeing the show posters was so exhilarating, I genuinely was hyperventilating at this point:
I also went to all of the character pictures on the doors and fawned over them, which I'm not even embarrassed about (I was especially excited to stand on the same steps Lin used to stand on during the Ham4Ham lotto shows). 
I also had a lot of fun with all of these giant Tootsie posters, with my fave Santino Fontana:

We went to the Mcdonalds on Times Square for dinner (has to be done at least once when in the USA!) and then headed back to the Airbnb after such a long and exciting day.

A day of seeing tourist stuff was really fun, I'd definitely recommend walking the Brooklyn Bridge and seeing Washington Square Park, and even if you don't see a show, it's really fun to walk up Broadway and see all the theatres.

My post for Wednesday will be up next week, so make sure to follow my socials to keep updated!
twitter : @chwcblog
instagram : @chwcblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in