Skip to main content

Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Five)

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there. I recently went on holiday to New York and over the next few weeks I'm going to share all the cool things I did while I was there. Since I was there for a week, this is going to be a seven part series, a post for each day. Friday was amazing, so let's dig in.

Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Five)

Friday was a super fun day. It was boiling hot, and we went to the Met. No, not the baseball team, Met singular: the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

There was so much to see in this museum, and I really enjoyed it since I was so desperate to see the exhibit on Camp, which was, of course, the theme of this year’s Met Gala.

The exhibit was amazing, all of the clothes and art they had were so beautiful, and there were some lovely quotes summing up different peoples views of the theme. Here are some examples of the pieces :



  



Then after all this there was a massive room full of costumes, from hats made of hair to dresses made of plushies. It was all so so cool and I’m sure I was in heaven in there. See  the big room :





And this one, with the quote behind it really summing up what camp is to a lot of people :


Outrageous Aestheticism. It was so impressive, and as a huge fan of camp and drag culture, it was so cool to see it all.

After this, we went round the rest of the museum. There was a super cool exhibit on the moon landing, since it was fifty years since it happened while we were there. There was a 60’s style TV playing the actual broadcast that was on when the landing happened:
Here's me pretending to be Claire Foy in First Man
As well as hundreds (I might be exaggerating but there were a lot) of photographs of the moon, mapping its surface and planning the landing. There was also a TV playing scenes from old movies about moon travel, for example Georges Méliès' 1902 film A Trip to the M
oon, which totally got it wrong but it was so fun to watch. We also saw some cool art around the place :
The smaller basis for Georges Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte

There were loads of carpets
I really liked this one

It’s a very impressive museum and I'd definitely recommend it, as it’s a flat rate and you can get in for three consecutive days with this ticket. While we only went once, it would be easy to go three times and see everything.

After the museum had worn us out, we headed outside for a cheeky New York hot dog, which was delicious and iconic :

Walking up towards Times Square, we also saw the Plaza Hotel and the Empire State Building, both of which are iconic buildings that, I have to say, nowhere near met my expectations :


For dinner we went to the Times Square Olive Garden, given lots of breadsticks and salad, and we were both extremely full afterwards :


We found Grand Central Station after this, which was a very impressive building and it did live up to my expectations.




There were no escaped zoo animals in there luckily (am i really degrading myself to a Madagascar reference) and it was really fun to people watch, from the giant Apple store which was pretty much the whole of the first floor balcony. I know it’s just a train station, but I enjoyed it.

That was Friday, I went home after seeing Grand Central while the bro went to find Manhattanhenge, which I was less concerned about.

Friday was a great day, it was very touristy and very satisfying. I would recommend seeing everything, as much as you possibly can, to fully make the most of your time in this amazing city.




My post for Saturday will be up next week, so make sure to follow my socials to keep updated!
twitter : @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Hair, What's in There? The Haunting of Hill House

Curly Hair, What's in There?  is a segment that will explore the random topics that are always circling my mind, things I want to talk about or things I want to share. The Haunting of Hill House  I know, I'm a little bit behind the curve on this one. It's taken me a long time to get around to watching this Netflix original series, but boy was I glad when I did. I like horror and I like drama and this series has it all. It explores some really serious themes while at the same time being exciting and scary. The series is about the Crain family, their experience in the haunted Hill House, named after its first owners, and how it affects them for their whole lives. I have a lot of thoughts and opinions about this show, so be prepared. To keep it as simple as possible, I'm going to talk about my five favourite things about this show. This contains SPOILERS for The Haunting of Hill House 1. Olivia Crain Carla Gugino as Olivia Olivia is the mother of the C...

Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Six)

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there. I recently went on holiday to New York and over the next few weeks I'm going to share all the cool things I did while I was there. Since I was there for a week, this is going to be a seven part series, a post for each day. Saturday was great fun. Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Six) Saturday was another fairly chill day. we went to the New York Public Library first thing, to see the original Winnie the Pooh toys, which were so cute and amazing to see. If you didn’t know, I adore Winnie the Pooh. It was a big, pretty building, in which the A.A. Milne box was the highlight. This was in the children’s library though, and I don’t think children are going to appreciate these as much as adults are. Although, they are trying to keep the stories alive over the generations so maybe they do care. Anyway, that was super cool and I would 10/10 recom...

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris Summer of Superheroes

If you didn't already know, I live in Paris and I love all things Disney. So, naturally, I have an annual pass and go up there as much as I can. This summer, it's all things Marvel! I went yesterday to check out #StudioHero and review all of the super festivities (get it??) Disneyland Paris: Summer of Superheroes All of the superhero stuff is in the Studios Park, rather than the main park, but it's still really cool. You walk in and the first thing you see, before walking through the studio, is this massive Captain Marvel Statue:  And that's just the start. In the production courtyard, there are three more huge statues, of: The Hulk Black Panther And Iron Man. It's pretty cool to see all of this, and exciting to see your favourite heroes but bigger and better.  The decor isn't the end of the fun though! There's the opportunity to meet three big heroes: Captain Marvel, Captain America, and Spiderman. I met Captains Marve...