Skip to main content

Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Five)

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there. I recently went on holiday to New York and over the next few weeks I'm going to share all the cool things I did while I was there. Since I was there for a week, this is going to be a seven part series, a post for each day. Friday was amazing, so let's dig in.

Curly Hair, Been There: New York City (Part Five)

Friday was a super fun day. It was boiling hot, and we went to the Met. No, not the baseball team, Met singular: the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

There was so much to see in this museum, and I really enjoyed it since I was so desperate to see the exhibit on Camp, which was, of course, the theme of this year’s Met Gala.

The exhibit was amazing, all of the clothes and art they had were so beautiful, and there were some lovely quotes summing up different peoples views of the theme. Here are some examples of the pieces :



  



Then after all this there was a massive room full of costumes, from hats made of hair to dresses made of plushies. It was all so so cool and I’m sure I was in heaven in there. See  the big room :





And this one, with the quote behind it really summing up what camp is to a lot of people :


Outrageous Aestheticism. It was so impressive, and as a huge fan of camp and drag culture, it was so cool to see it all.

After this, we went round the rest of the museum. There was a super cool exhibit on the moon landing, since it was fifty years since it happened while we were there. There was a 60’s style TV playing the actual broadcast that was on when the landing happened:
Here's me pretending to be Claire Foy in First Man
As well as hundreds (I might be exaggerating but there were a lot) of photographs of the moon, mapping its surface and planning the landing. There was also a TV playing scenes from old movies about moon travel, for example Georges Méliès' 1902 film A Trip to the M
oon, which totally got it wrong but it was so fun to watch. We also saw some cool art around the place :
The smaller basis for Georges Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte

There were loads of carpets
I really liked this one

It’s a very impressive museum and I'd definitely recommend it, as it’s a flat rate and you can get in for three consecutive days with this ticket. While we only went once, it would be easy to go three times and see everything.

After the museum had worn us out, we headed outside for a cheeky New York hot dog, which was delicious and iconic :

Walking up towards Times Square, we also saw the Plaza Hotel and the Empire State Building, both of which are iconic buildings that, I have to say, nowhere near met my expectations :


For dinner we went to the Times Square Olive Garden, given lots of breadsticks and salad, and we were both extremely full afterwards :


We found Grand Central Station after this, which was a very impressive building and it did live up to my expectations.




There were no escaped zoo animals in there luckily (am i really degrading myself to a Madagascar reference) and it was really fun to people watch, from the giant Apple store which was pretty much the whole of the first floor balcony. I know it’s just a train station, but I enjoyed it.

That was Friday, I went home after seeing Grand Central while the bro went to find Manhattanhenge, which I was less concerned about.

Friday was a great day, it was very touristy and very satisfying. I would recommend seeing everything, as much as you possibly can, to fully make the most of your time in this amazing city.




My post for Saturday will be up next week, so make sure to follow my socials to keep updated!
twitter : @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in