Skip to main content

Curly Hair, What's in There? : Greggs

OK well honestly this post isn't just about Greggs, but rather the rise of veganism in the UK and people's over the top reactions.

Curly Hair, What's in There? : Greggs
The controversial pastry

So if you live in the world, you'll know that this week Greggs launched their new pastry: the vegan steak bake. It's made of quorn and vegan gravy, with a butter and egg free pastry. Sounds delicious, and I can confirm that it is (I just ate one). Earlier in the year they also introduced a vegan sausage roll, which flew off of trays and sold out of Greggs stores across the country, and for good reason: they taste so good. In all honesty I don't know if I ever had a real steak bake before going veggie so I can't really compare, but I can say that it's got a great flavour and is a great alternative. 
The real reason I'm writing this, however, is because the General Public is up in arms, and I can't understand why. People are asking why vegans would want a steak bake? and why would they introduce something for such a small amount of people? Britain's Biggest Tosser himself Piers Morgan said this:
And obviously that made me angry, in fact looking down his feed to find that tweet made me angry so you can have a look at some of his responses yourselves, which are so closed-minded and sometimes offensive that I don't want to look at them again. I actually responded to him the first time round with the sausage roll:

But it's just not worth the effort to argue with people like him.
And it's not just him. People everywhere are up in arms about it, and not just Greggs. Nando's have introduced a vegan perinaise to go with their existing meat-free options, Wagamama and TGI Friday have started selling a vegan steak made from watermelon, even the big chains like McDonald's and KFC have now got vegan options. It's obviously a big market to get in on, so what is it about veganism and providing for people with alternative diets that meat eaters can't understand?

In my opinion, introducing vegan options is a genius move. Obviously it's Veganuary, but more and more people are adopting plant-based diets to reduce their carbon footprint (good move, considering the climate crisis).
According to Greenpeace, livestock emits as much as cars, trains, ships and aircraft combined
The new options in so many large chains brings in this whole new market, who either were never able to eat there or who used to and want to eat there without having to consume meat. It's going to bring in so much revenue and personally I really appreciate it. I know I was craving a Gregg's sausage roll when I got back from Spain, and the fact that I could get one that I could eat was life-changing.
It's not just chosen dietary restrictions: there are plenty of religious reasons not to eat meat, as well as allergies and the like. Meat-eaters can't get their heads around the idea that eating a lot of meat is bad for the environment and that the new options are attempting to not only promote the food chains they love but also save the planet they live on. People that complain about this are so closed-minded and they need to understand that other people have other lifestyles and opinions that are totally valid.

Rant over, but I will continue to get angry when I see people complaining about large corporations finally providing plant-based meals.

Follow my socials to keep updated on further posts!
twitter : @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in