Skip to main content

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos.

Curly Cooks: Booboos


Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Booboos: shuger/butter/mix/flower/coco powder/mix/something even I can't understand/cook in the oven (/ovon?) not sure what's going on next or why it randomly says the word little. You can see that this is a horrific attempt at writing a recipe but my dear sweet mum basically decided that it was chocolate shortbread with a chocolate button on top. Sometimes I feel bad that she had to deal with little me but in all fairness I was a little icon, if a bit crazy (ok very crazy lol).
Anyway, that's the story of how Booboos were born. Now, the recipe.

Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a baking tray (or two). 
In a bowl, put 100g of butter, 150g of plain flour (flower) and 30g of cocoa (coco) powder. Mix it together with your fingers, until it forms a breadcrumb-like consistency:


Next, you can add in the 100g of sugar (shuger) and beaten egg, and mix it up until it forms a dough.

You may need to add some more flour, as I did, in order to make it a workable dough. Next, flour a work surface and knead your dough until it looks vaguely solid and rollable. Then, you can wrap it in clingfilm and refridgerate it for 10-20 minutes. When it comes out the fridge it should be cold and hardened a fair amount.

Now, flour your work surface again and roll out the dough to an even thickness, about 1-2cm. Using a small, fluted cookie cutter, make rounds and then reroll the dough to make as many as you can.

Put the rounds on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until crispy.

While they cool you can make the icing. Mix a small amount of water with a couple of spoons of icing sugar and a sprinkle of cocoa powder. Add more icing sugar as necessary to thicken the icing enough that it looks spreadable.

Once the cookies are cooled, put a small amount of the icing in the centre, then stick a chocolate button on top while the icing is wet, so it sticks.

Display them however you see fit: I used these cute little plastic plates as they are what we used to use as kids when we had a 'picnic' (usually a blanket in the living room with toys and small amounts of food). 

And enjoy! They look and sound ridiculous, but they are pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.

Booboos

Prep time: 30 minutes             Cook time15 minutes            Makes: 30 biscuits

Ingredients
100g butter
100g sugar 
1 beaten egg 
150g plain flour
30g cocoa powder (plus an extra sprinkle for the icing)
20g icing sugar
1tbsp cold water
Chocolate buttons

Steps
Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a baking tray.
Using your fingers, mix together the butter, flour and cocoa powder until it forms fine breadcrumbs.
Add in the sugar and egg and mix it together to form a dough, adding more flour as you see fit until it is more doughy.
Knead it on a lightly floured worksurface and then wrap it in clingfilm and place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
Once chilled, roll out the dough on your floured work surface and cut out small fluted rounds.
Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
While they cool, mix together the icing sugar, extra cocoa powder and the water and mix it up to form a thick icing.
Once cooled, put a small dollop of the icing in the centre of each biscuit and then press a chocolate button into the icing to make it stick.
Enjoy!


Follow my socials to keep updated on further posts and to see Curly Cooks videos!     
twitter: @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in