Skip to main content

Curly Cooks: Merveilleux

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. A year ago this week I went to the French city of Lille for the day, where I partook of their specialty sweet treat: Merveilleux.

Curly Cooks: Merveilleux



Merveilleux are a French pastry which originated in Northern France and Flanders in the 19th century, consisting of meringue and cream. The recipe was updated in 1985 by Frédéric Vaucamps, who founded the now international bakery Aux Merveilleux de Fred. Traditionally, they are plain meringues with plain whipped cream, but Vaucamps developed multiple flavours and varieties, his masterpiece being a meringue with chocolate whipped cream and covered with chocolate flakes.
The Magnifique (praline cream with caramelised hazelnuts and almond chips)

At his patisserie, branches of which can be found in Paris and London as well as the original location in Lille, you can purchase six different varieties of merveilleux, including white chocolate, coffee, and praline. They are all delicious, and I decided to try a version of the Incroyable, with lotus (speculoos) flavour cream and crushed lotus biscuits (the bakery's version uses white chocolate coating).

First, you need to make the meringues. They can be tricky to it's important to follow the steps exactly. Use 33g of caster sugar and 25g of icing sugar for each egg you use, and the proportions are correct. 
66g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 50g icing sugar

The bowl you use must be completely clean, free of grease and fibres, as if it isn't then the eggs won't whisk properly.

Break in the egg whites, making certain not to get any yolk in - if you do, the mixture, again, won't work and you'll have to start over. Whisk the eggs into stiff peaks and then add the sugars a spoonful at a time until the mixture is thick and shiny. If you've watched the video, you'll note that I put all the ingredients in the bowl and whisked them, and while the result was fine, it took a long time to mix, so maybe follow the instructions here and the meringues will work out better!

Pour the mixture into a piping bag or freezer bag, whichever you have handy, and cut a small hole in the corner. Pipe an even number of small circles onto your prepared tray:


and put them in a 110C oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. 

Allow the cooked meringues to cool, meanwhile prepare the cream. Whip a pot of double cream into a soft but firm consistency, then mix in the flavouring of your choice - be it cocoa powder, melted chocolate, or lotus spread, as I chose. Make sure the cream is a spreadable consistency and put it aside until the meringues are cooled enough that the cream won't melt. Next, prepare the toppings: be it putting caramelised nuts in a bowl or grating chocolate ready to be sprinkled on the finished product.
My preparation station of the cooked meringues, flavoured cream and crushed biscuits

Once the meringues are done, spread a generous layer of the cream onto the top of one meringue, and place another, of a similar or slightly smaller size, on top. Now you can cover the sandwich with cream, and finally coat it with your topping.

And done! You've just made a merveilleux. Enjoy! While they obviously don't look as good as Fred's, they're still really tasty. Just make sure to store them in the fridge as the cream melts easily, and hardening it in the fridge makes it a lot easier to eat.
Prep time: 45 minutes             Cook time: 90-120 minutes             Serves: 1-6

Ingredients
2 eggs
66g caster sugar
50g icing sugar
Double cream
Flavouring and topping of choice

Steps
1. Preheat the oven to 110c and prepare a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Make sure your bowl is clean, then break in the eggs, separating them and ensuring no yolk gets into the bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs until they form stiff peaks.
4. Add the sugars one spoonful at a time until your mixture is stiff and glossy.
5. Pour your mixture into a piping bag and pipe an even number of rounds onto your prepared tray.
6. Place in the oven for 1.5 to 2 hours (check after 1.5 hours and if they're browning, take them out. Cook time depends on how big the meringues are).
7. Prepare the cream; Whisk the cream with a spoonful of icing sugar until it's a thick consistency (this may take a while).
8. Add the flavouring of your choice and whisk it in.
9. Prepare your topping (grate chocolate, crush biscuits, etc).
10. Spread cream on top of a meringue, then place another meringue on top. Coat the sandwich with cream and sprinkle over the topping. Enjoy.


Follow my socials to keep updated on further posts and to see Curly Cooks videos!     
twitter: @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in