Skip to main content

Curly Cooks: Pain aux Raisins

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is another memory of Paris: Pain aux Raisins.

Curly Cooks: Pain aux Raisins


Way back in 2019, when I lived in Paris (did I mention I lived in France) I used to eat Pain aux Raisins All The Time. I couldn't get over the amazing flaky, buttery pastry, the smooth creamy filling and the tasty scattered raisins. My coworkers would often laugh at me for saying the word 'raisin' in a very English accent compared to the first two words in the name of this pastry, but I didn't care, I'd just laugh and eat another! It's a bit of a trickier recipe as it involves making your own custard, but it's worth it in the end.

First of all, you want to separate two eggs and mix the yolks in with 45g of granulated sugar. Once smooth, mix in 10g each of plain flour and cornflour, to make a sort of yellow paste.

Next, pour 200ml of milk into a saucepan with a dash of vanilla extract, and put it on the hob to boil. Once it's started bubbling, pour it slowly into the egg mixture, whisking as you go (if possible), then transfer this mixture back to the hob, keeping it on a low flame until it has thickened into a a lovely creamy custard. 
Put the custard back in the bowl and refridgerate it for around an hour.

While it is cooling, you can prepare the pastry. Roll out your premade puff pastry into a large rectangle, making sure to roll it out lengthways so that you can roll it up easier later. 
Once the custard is cooled, spread it over the surface of the pastry, but not too thickly or close to the edges or it will all spill out of the ends (I learned this the hard way). 
Sprinkle on your raisins, then roll it up.
Cut 1cm thick slices out of the roll and place them on a baking sheet. 
Egg wash if possible then cook them in a 180C oven for 20 minutes. 

And that's it, enjoy!
Prep time: 1h 30            Cook time: 20 mins            Serves: 1-20

Ingredients:
250g premade puff pastry
150g raisins
  For the Custard:
   2 egg yolks
   45g granulated sugar
   10g plain flour
   10g cornstarch
   200ml milk
   1tsp vanilla extract

Steps:
1. Mix together egg yolks and sugar until smooth.
2. Add in plain flour and cornstarch and mix thoroughly.
3. Boil milk with vanilla extract on a medium heat.
4. Once boiled, pour into the egg mixture, then once cohesive-looking pour back into the saucepan and continue to heat (on low) until the mixture thickens significantly.
5. Pour back into a bowl and refridgerate for around one hour.
6. Roll out premade puff pastry into a rectangle of 1/2cm thickness
7. Spread cooled custard over the pastry, fairly thin, until most of the pastry is covered.
8. Sprinkle the raisins evenly over the whole surface.
9. Roll the pastry lengthways, as tightly as possible.
10. Cut out rounds of 1cm thickness and place them face up on the baking sheet, so you can see the swirls.
11. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
12. Enjoy!

            
Follow my socials to keep updated on further posts and to see Curly Cooks videos!     
twitter: @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in