Skip to main content

Curly Cooks: Lemon Drizzle Cake

 Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is an afternoon tea classic and an all time favourite: Lemon Drizzle Cake.

Curly Cooks: Lemon Drizzle Cake

My mum used to make this tasty treat a lot when I was younger, with a few fundamental differences: she did it as a traybake, and she called it 'crunchy top' lemon cake. This was thanks to the tasty layer of lemon juice and sugar that she would pour on the top when it was hot. So, my version of this recipe is a mixture of her recipe and the classic one.
           


First of all you want to cream together the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and stir it until it is all mixed in. Next, add the self raising flour to make the mixture lovely and smooth.
                               

Add the zest of one and a half lemons and stir to incorporate. 
                               
And that's the batter done! Super easy. 
Now pour the mixture into your baking tray or loaf tin, however you want to cook it.
                               
If you're using a loaf tin, bake it in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until it is spongy and an inserted skewer comes out clean.

While the cake is in the oven, prepare the topping. Juice the lemons you zested and mix them in with the granulated sugar. 
                                 

Once the cake is out of the oven, poke holes in the top of it, all over. Then, pour the lemon juice mixture over the top of the cake so that it falls into the holes. You also want a good amount of it to rest on the top of the cake in order to create the illustrious crunchy top.
                                  
Sprinkle the zest of the last half lemon over the top while it is wet, so that it will stay, and allow the cake to cool.

Crunchy Top Lemon Drizzle Cake

Prep time: 20 minutes                 Cook time: 40 minutes               Serves: 1-8

Ingredients:
175g butter/margarine
175g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
3 eggs
2 lemons, zested and juiced
50g granulated sugar

Steps:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Mix in the eggs, and then the flour.
4. Mix in the zest of the lemons, leaving a bit (about half a lemon's worth) for later.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until it is spongy and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Mix together the lemon juice and granulated sugar and put to one side.
7. Poke holes in the top of the cake (while warm), all over but not so much that the top of the cake is ruined (I'd say maybe 4 rows of holes).
8. Pour the lemon juice mixture over the top of the cake, and then sprinkle on the remaining lemon zest.
9. Leave it to cool so that the topping becomes hard and crunchy.
10. Serve and enjoy!

                  



Comments

  1. Buena publicación.
    Me encantó leer esta publicación, ¡Gracias por compartir! ¡Seguir escribiendo!
    COWASH

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in