Skip to main content

Curly Cooks: Madeleines

 Since we've all been stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one that reminds me of my time in France: Madeleines.

Curly Cooks: Madeleines


Madeleines were one of the many snacks provided at my work (along with the palmiers, pains aux raisins and chaussons aux pommes). They were my favourite and I always got excited when I got a madeleine. So, I decided to try and make them. They seem quite difficult as there are a lot of steps and they are easy to get wrong, but I managed to make them successfully on my first try, so maybe they aren't as hard as they seem.


First of all, you want to melt your butter. Some recipes call for brown butter, which is when you melt the butter in a saucepan, let it cook until it goes a brownish golden colour and then let it cool. I did try this but I was very impatient and I don't think I let it cook for long enough, plus there was a gross layer of fat over the butter, so in all honesty I would just use normal unsalted butter and melt it in the microwave. Leave it to cool, and if any fat does separate out, use the back of a spoon or a small sieve to separate it out. 
While this is cooling, whisk together the 3 eggs and 150g of caster sugar, until it is yellow and smooth.
Add 150g of plain flour, 1tsp of baking powder and a pinch of salt to this mixture, and then the lemon zest and the cooled butter. Beat it all together until it forms a cohesive batter, then put it in the fridge for around one hour.

In the meantime, get your madeleine tray (if you don't have one, you can use a cupcake tray - it won't have the iconic shell shape but it will taste the same and will still have the hump) and spray or spread oil into each dip. Then, sprinkle some flour in.
This is to make sure that the cakes don't get stuck and that they slide out easily once cooked. 
Preheat your oven to its highest temperature, and spoon mixture into the tray, filling the moulds about 3/4 full.
Don't worry if it looks thick as it will flatten out into the tray before it goes in the oven. 
Once the oven is heated, put the madeleines in and then immediately turn down the temperature to around 210C. This shock in temperature change (from the fridge to the burning hot oven and then down again) is what creates the iconic hump shape on the madeleine. Let them cook for around 7-10 minutes depending on their size. Don't be concerned if you don't see the hump growing at first, I promise it will be there by the time they're cooked, if you've done everything right. 
Take them out of the oven and let them cool a bit, and they should just slide out of the tray perfectly. Let them cool a bit and you're done!
They taste good immediately but if you leave them for a day or so they will develop an almost almondy taste which is just beautiful. Enjoy!

Madeleines 

Prep time: 75 mins                  Cook time: 10 mins                      Yield: 12-24

Ingredients:
3 eggs
150g caster sugar
150g plain flour
pinch of salt
1tsp baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
150g unsalted butter (melted and cooled slightly)

Steps:
1. Mix eggs and sugar together until smooth.
2. Add in the flour, salt and baking powder.
3. Mix in the lemon zest and butter, and whisk until you have a smooth, thick batter.
4. Allow the batter to rest in the fridge for around 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 270C, or your oven's highest setting.
6. Prepare a madeleine tray with oil and flour, and then spoon the mixture into the mould, to around 3/4 full.
7. Put the tray in the oven and turn it down to 210C as soon as you close the door.
8. Cook for 7-10 mins, without opening the oven door, until the cakes have formed a hump and look golden.
9. Allow them to cool and enjoy!


Follow my socials to keep updated on further posts and to see Curly Cooks videos!     
twitter: @chwcblog
instagram: @chwcblog_

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is the simplest of simple British bakes: Victoria Sponge. Curly Cooks: Victoria Sponge Everyone knows and loves victoria sponge: it's a classic afternoon tea staple, and if you've never made it, now is the time! It's super easy and it's an instant crowd pleaser. Let's get into it. Jump to recipe First, gather your ingredients: In order: sugar, margarine, vanilla extract, baking powder, eggs, self-raising flour Measuring the ingredients is easy, if you don't know the exact amounts, or if you want to increase or decrease the quantity, then weigh the eggs, and use about the same weight of everything else. For example, my four eggs weighed around 235g: So minus the

Curly Cooks: Booboos

Since we're all stuck inside for lockdown, many people are currently baking to pass the time, including me! So, Curly Cooks is a series on the various items that I'm making while on lockdown, most of which will carry personal stories. Today's recipe is one I invented as a child: Booboos. Curly Cooks: Booboos Jump to recipe When I was younger, I used to enjoy watching my mum bake all manner of sweet treats for my brother and me. At maybe three years old, I decided to invent a recipe of my own, which ended up being named Booboos. Now as a three year old I obviously didn't understand the necessities and intricacies of baking, so I just wrote a bunch of random baking words that I knew and my mum interpreted it to create these biscuits. This is my original recipe card:  Shocking penmanship and spelling I know, and a flawless method. If you can't read my handwriting (unsurprising tbh), it says Resapy for Boo

Curly Hair, Been There: Disneyland Paris

Curly Hair, Been There is a segment that explore the different places in the world I have been, and my experiences there.  Disneyland Paris So, anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a huge Disney fan. Like, massive. I own all 55 of the movies  on DVD or Blu-ray, as well as all 20 Pixar films. I. Love. Disney. So, it should come as no surprise that I've been to Disneyland a lot of times. I went for my 21st birthday, and as a part of this amazing gift I also received an annual pass to the Paris parks and two nights in the Disneyland Hotel (you know, the one that overlooks the park). So, since then, I have been back to the park three times, the most recent of which I shared on my blog's story. So, this blog is an overview of that day, and includes some tips for getting the most out of your Disneyland Paris experience. First off, I should have gone earlier. With an annual pass you can experience Magic Hours anytime, even if you aren't staying in